Fundamentals Merivale preschool & Nursery
Located within a beautiful Villa in the heart of Merivale, we use the gorgeous environment to provide a stunning home away from home for your children.
At Fundamentals we believe in providing the building blocks for success in learning. This comes through creating habits of the children’s mind that inspire them to want and need to learn all the time.These foundations are established in the formative years (0-6years of age). The way to achieve a successful framework is to provide, right from the start, a stimulating, challenging, exciting and fun environment that will assist the children to develop their natural abilities through individual and collective learning opportunities.
The environment at Fundamentals Preschools & Nursery provides children with opportunities to take charge of their own learning, to become risk takers and grow, learn and discover with their friends.
Fundamentals provide for low ratios being 1 teacher to every 4 children in the nursery and 1 teacher to every 8 children in the preschool.
Fundamentals Merivale Preschool & Nursery Pedagogical Statement
Fundamentals Preschool & Nursery at Merivale promotes a learning community through positive reciprocal, respectful and responsive relationships in a health-conscious environment that is value rich.
Our School Wide Pedagogy Promotes
- Moving to learn – gym programme that promotes children’s learning and development through everyday fundamental movements
- Structured learning through play
- Individualised goal based learning
- Time and resources to explore activities of their own choosing
- Numeracy and literacy programme
- Ready for school – extension for 4 year olds
- Music and movement daily
- Quality respectful under 2 years old care
- Opportunities for structure and free play
- We promote and allow the freedom of movement, allowing children to develop “in their own time, not on time”
- Effective transition process to preschool and transition to school
- Recognising and embracing cultural diversity
It is a pedagogical approach that aligns to NZ national early childhood curriculum ‘Te Whariki’.
A health conscious
Value-rich environment that fosters positive relationships in a learning community
- Creating a community of learners through positive communications
- Embracing tripartite collaboration between staff, parents and teachers
- Supporting children as individuals and competent learners
- Parent involvement in planning, fundraising and social events – FUNdamentals Parent Association
- Healthy Heart initiatives that encourage the children, parents and staff at FUNdamentals to exercise and eat well
- Gym room – to promote children’s learning and development through music and movement
- Tuakana teina principal – older children learn from the younger children and vise reverse.
- Encourages children to be adaptable and innovative learners
- Individual responsibility for behaviour and outcomes in a supportive environment
- An environment that promotes guidance and modelling
- Inclusive environment
- Active exploration – gym room
- Participate in ongoing professional development – wealth of experience
- Listen to children, families and one another, genuine, responsive relationships between staff and families
- Interested in children’s whanau and how we can work together
- Use the environment to learn
- Incorporate daily gym programme in our curriculum
- Encourage children engagement through a variety of learning styles.
Planning documents are expected to show the relationship between the teachers’ aim and objectives and the activities coming out of the aims.